2019 Abqaiq–Khurais attack 2019 Abqaiq–Khurais attack - ImagesGram

2019 Abqaiq–Khurais attack

Khurais oil field and Buqyaq Saudi Arabia

The 2019 Abqaiq–Khurais attack was a drone attack that targeted the state-owned Saudi Aramco oil processing facilities at Abqaiq (Biqayq in Arabic) and Khurais in eastern Saudi Arabia on 14 September 2019. The Houthi movement in Yemen claimed responsibility, tying it to events surrounding the Saudi Arabian intervention in the Yemeni Civil War. However, claims by United States officials that the attacks originated in Iran, despite Iran's denial, exacerbated the Persian Gulf crisis.

The attack caused large fires at the refineries which, according to the Saudi Arabian interior ministry, were put out several hours later. Both facilities were shut down to effect repairs, cutting Saudi Arabia's oil production by about half – representing about 5% of global oil production – and causing some destabilization of global financial markets. Saudi Arabia's energy ministry stated that the facilities are expected to be operating at full capacity by the end of September, and that Saudi Arabia will tap into its oil reserves to maintain exports in the interim.


At around 04:00 a.m. Saudi Arabia Standard Time (UTC+3), Saudi Aramco reported fires at its Abqaiq and Khurais facilities. The fires were contained a few hours later, with no reported fatalities, though it remains unclear if anyone was injured in the attack.
Saudi Arabia's interior ministry issued a report shortly after the incident stating that the fires were "a result of ... drones".
Multiple unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs or drones) were believed to be involved, and machine gun fire could be heard on surveillance recordings of the facilities as the guards at the facilities tried to bring down the drones.

Analysis of satellite images of the Abqaiq facility before and after the attacks appear to show seventeen direct strikes from the attack; fourteen which struck and punctured storage tanks, and three which disabled the oil processing trains. Two additional strikes on the facility grounds but which did not damage the equipment were also observed.